This blog is my attempt to share the things I love that make me who I am and who I want to be. I love being a mother and a wife and I want to be the type of person that feels every moment for what it is. To be that person I must remember to slow down, and focus, and dwell on all the good that surrounds us. Here, I hope to remind myself of that good.
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Philippians 4:8

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Bread For My Babies

This morning when Danny went into the kitchen he found a new batch of bread. In a tone that sounded more like an excited alarm than an announcement he exclaimed "BREAD!"....and my momma pride went up another notch. It makes me happy that my babies are happy when they find my bread.

Baking bread with freshly milled flour is one of my favorite homemaking tasks. A friend of mine turned me onto this and after eating the bread on a regular basis I became a true believer in it's health benefits. There are tons of sites listing the benefits and reasons for milling your own flour, so instead of restating them I'll just direct you here: The Advantages to Home Milling

Something important to keep in mind when home milling is to remember how quickly wheat germ goes bad. While it is a wonderful antioxidant it can actually be cancer causing if eaten when rancid. So, do your research and mill fresh as you need it.

Recently, I've been researching the importance of soaking my grains. You can read why this is a good practice here. We've discovered that we love the texture soaking gives our bread. Time may not allow for it to be a daily practice but we'll do it when we can.

The idea of making all your own breads can seem overwhelming, but really you only need one good recipe. Once you find your families personal favorite you can adapt it to be just about anything. Here is a good site listing whole wheat bread dough variations.

No comments: