This blog is my attempt to share the things I love that make me who I am and who I want to be. I love being a mother and a wife and I want to be the type of person that feels every moment for what it is. To be that person I must remember to slow down, and focus, and dwell on all the good that surrounds us. Here, I hope to remind myself of that good.
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Philippians 4:8

Sunday, February 15, 2015

I am weak.

"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. " -2 Corinthians 12:9-11
So many people, a lot of them believers in Christ, speak to encourage me by telling me how strong I am. They talk as if most couldn't do what I am doing, as if I have an option other than breathing. What they don't realize is I'm probably one of the weakest people they know. I can't do any of this, most days I don't even want to get out of bed. They say it to lift me up, to cheer me on in this journey of learning to live without Mike.

The world gives us the idea to cover up our weaknesses, to hide them away so that others don't see where we need improvement. In that world we train ourselves to support those in hardships by building them up in falseness, we tune our ears hoping to and thinking we need to hear the praises of others coming towards us like a rope pulling us through. We kid ourselves that strength is found in us. It's a sham. A sham of society that a mocking Satan wants us to fall for.

In reality, we need to lay down our weaknesses on the doorsteps for the populations to see. Instead of promoting one another we need to identify a choice. The choice to rest in the promises of our Lord. Only in accepting our weakness are we strong- not in ourselves, but in Christ. It's not in our strength that we find comfort but in the strength of the one who gives power to the faint, who is an everlasting rock, who will uphold us, who is the light of the world. Christ is the one to take refuge in, he's the one who will guard our hearts, who is with us wherever we go. He alone will keep us in perfect peace and open our eyes to see wondrous things. 

I am not strong, I am weak. It's in that weakness that you are looking at the strength of our Lord. So, build me up with scripture. Throw the words of his promises at me. Take my hand and walk this path with me. Come and be with me in his grace.

  • He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. -Isaiah 40:29
  • "Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock." -Isiah 26:4
  • "fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. -Isaiah 41:10
  • "Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” -John 8:12
  • "But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy, and spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may exult in you." -Psalm 5:11
  • "And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." -Philippians 4:7
  • "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” -Joshua 1:9
  • "You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you." -Isaiah 26:3
  • "Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law." -Psalm 119:18

No comments: